Congressman Steve King

Representing the 4th District of Iowa


Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon

State and Federal Flood Resources

Natural disasters like floods can strike quickly, and Iowans need to have the tools necessary to keep themselves and their families safe from harm. I am actively monitoring the flooding in the 4th District, and am working closely with the Governor’s office to ensure any necessary Federal assistance is provided. Should you need them, I encourage you to use the resources listed here to make sure you and your loved ones are prepared should you find yourself in the path of rising waters.

Be Prepared for a Flood

Iowa Links:

Iowa Public Damage and Storm Reporting:

Iowa Department of Public Health:

Iowa Flood Center:

Iowa Department of Transportation Traveler Information:

Iowa Disaster Case Management Program:

Iowa Individual Disaster Assistance Grant Program:

USDA Links:

Locate your FSA office:

Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) – More info here:  LIP provides benefits to livestock producers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by adverse weather or by attacks by animals reintroduced into the wild by the federal government. LIP payments are equal to 75 percent of the average fair market value of the livestock.

Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish (ELAP) – More info here:  ELAP provides financial assistance to eligible producers of livestock, honeybees and farm-raised fish for losses due to disease, certain adverse weather events or loss conditions, including blizzards and wildfires, as determined by the Secretary.

Tree Assistance Program (TAP) – More info here:  The Agricultural Act of 2014 (the 2014 Farm Bill) authorized the Tree Assistance Program (TAP) to provide financial assistance to qualifying orchardists and nursery tree growers to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes and vines damaged by natural disasters.

Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) – More info here: NAP provides financial assistance to producers of noninsurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory, or prevented planting occur due to natural disasters.

Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) – More info here:  The Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) helps farmers and ranchers to repair damage to farmlands caused by natural disasters and to help put in place methods for water conservation during severe drought. The ECP does this by giving ranchers and farmers funding and assistance to repair the damaged farmland or to install methods for water conservation.

Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP) – More info here: The Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program was created to respond to emergencies created by natural disasters. The EWP Program offers technical and financial assistance to help local communities such as cities, counties and towns relieve imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms, and other natural occurrences that impair a watershed. 

Additional Federal Links:


FEMA: Floods-

FEMA: Answers to Questions About the National Flood Insurance Program:

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration:

National Weather Service Des Moines:

Contact Info
Media    Issues    News    Services    Info   

Iowa 04 District Map

I am very interested in hearing your views on issues of importance to you. Please use the drop down menu below to select the type of inquiry you'd like to make.